Welcome to week 1 of our CSA basket! We started out the season a little late due to some colder weather during the beginning of the growing season and some wild storms that wreaked havoc on the little plants. I’m happy to report that things are turning up and we received our first basket last Friday!
Week 1 turned out to be a very pretty basket (although I’m sure they all will be) and it became the star of the series appearing in the header photo. woop woop. Now, let’s get started with the contents!
What was in the basket?
- Bok choy
- Mustard greens
- Green onions
- Bok choy – sautéed with garlic and butter for a dinner side dish
- Mustard greens – Boy did these guys have bite! We ate them raw and I also shared them with my colleagues.
- Spinach – Added to pitas, salads, sandwiches, and smoothies.
- Rhubarb – Chopped and frozen for use in the future.
- Green onions – Added to pitas + still have some left over.
- Radishes – Ate on their own + still have some left over.
- Dill – Chopped and frozen for use in the future/over time.
What were some challenges/successes?
- Picking up the basket on the right day – apparently my Gmail spam filters went a little off
- Working through traditional salad vegetables (radishes + green onions) – we don’t eat salads that often, but it looks like we’re going to have to start!
- Dealing with produce that was planned to be frozen right away
- Making a list of all the CSA items we got to put on the fridge so we know what we have left to eat.
Let’s chat – What can I do with mustard greens!? Anyone else like eating radishes by themselves and raw?