Mr A and I joined a Half Share CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) with Food Ethos Farm based out of Melita, MB. This series will document our experimentation, use, and possible frustration with all the wonderful produce we will receive during the course of the summer. Before we get into the food I wanted to take some time to talk about what a CSA is.
What is a CSA?
– You are essentially paying the farmers upfront for them to be able to produce food, then when the growing season comes, you receive a weekly basket of produce/farm products.
– The amount you receive depends on what you sign up for as well as the growing season. Many places have half shares or full shares and some even incorporate preserved foods as well as meat and egg products.
What can you expect here?
– Information about what we received (also a good indicator of what’s currently in season in Manitoba)
– What we did with it (sharing recipes, freezing and preparation methods)
– Our struggles and triumphs with the produce
We will be going through our first week’ basket later in the week, and we can’t wait to share with you all the fun we’re having with our freshly grown Manitoba produce!
For more information about CSA’s check out the CSA Guide from Oh my veggies.
Let’s chat – Are you signed up for a CSA? What are you favourite summer veggies?