I love honey, especially local honey. It absolutely has a permanent home in my kitchen and I go through jars like no one’s business. Honey has favourite food status in my kitchen, and today I’m going to tell you why.
I buy 99% of my honey locally (the other 1% is usually not by choice) and I think that buying local honey is amazing for more reasons than you may think:
- You’re supporting the local economy and local farmers!
- You get more product variety: buckwheat honey, creamed honey, creamed honey with various flavours added (lemon, cinnamon, etc.)
- It tastes better than the stuff from the store!
- AND the honey farmers often sell other bee-related goodies like candles!
Check out my awesome honey collection:
Honey has several uses including: Sweetener in recipes, sweetener in hot tea, and eaten by the spoonful (in my kitchen anyways).
Here are some of my favourite recipes featuring honey:
No Bake Almond Butter Chews [I use honey instead of brown rice syrup]
Honey Storage: I keep my honey at room temperature or in the fridge. If you find your honey getting hard and crystallized you can warm up your jar by running warm water over it or in the oven (in an oven safe container) at a low heat. Never microwave your honey to make it soft because it will ruin it in the long run!
If you’re looking for more information The Kitchn has a great resource about honey colour and purchasing honey.
Let’s chat! – What’s your favourite use for honey? Do you buy local honey?