I’m full swing into preserving all these amazing late summer/early fall veggies but unfortunately for this post, most of my preserving was for veggies that weren’t in my CSA! I mentioned last week that I was gifted a lot of tomatoes, beets, and potatoes and I finally had a little time to do something with them!
I used 20+ tomatoes to make canned tomato sauce, froze beet tops from about 5lb of beets, and then turned those beets into canned beets. Pheeew.
Our CSA pick-up schedule is supposed to be every other week, but we ended up picking up our full share on back to back weeks (and we pick up again today!) because we made up for a pick up we missed while on vacation. AKA we are in veggie overload in our house. Before I tackled some of the produce from this week I worked on finishing up some of the produce from last week: potatoes, leeks, green onions, etc.
While I haven’t gotten around to much of the produce from last week’s pick up let’s see how we did on the CSA front this week:
- Bok choy – Still in the fridge (plan to stirfry)
- Swiss chard – Still in the fridge (plan to freeze or stirfry)
- Green peppers (4) – Still in the fridge
- Kale – Red lentil, tomato, and kale soup.
- Cabbage – Still in the fridge (plan to fry with onions)
- Beans – Still in the fridge (plan to freeze or quick pickle!)
- Lettuce mix – Salad; still in the fridge
- Carrots – Roasted with beef; sliced up for lunches; still in the fridge
- Onions – Salad; still in the fridge
- Cucumbers (4) – Salad; sliced up for lunches; still in the fridge
- Green onions – Salad; topping for chilli; still in the fridge
- Basil – Tomato pesto!
With all of that laid out on the table I’m not feeling too terrible about all the veggies we didn’t eat. We haven’t thrown any away (SO happy about this!) and much of what’s left will be ok in the fridge for another week (or longer!). I’m also so happy with our new family member: the freezer – and I plan to freeze a bunch of what we didn’t get to this week.
I’m ready for squashes and Brussels sprouts, bring em on!
Let’s chat – How are you enjoying these late summer/early fall veggies? Have you ever pickled?