This incredibly simple and delicious chickpea and kale salad packs a healthy punch and is fun to put together!
Happy New Year, everyone!
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and were able to take time time to rest and relax, I know I did!
Today I’m coming at you with another super simple salad recipe. This Chickpea and Kale Salad is a staple in our house. The best part about it is how customizable it is. Most of the ingredients can be substituted for what you have on hand and you can always add in other ingredients like different veggies or other nuts and seeds for toppings.
Massaging the kale is critical for this recipe, so don’t skip it! Learning about massaging kale changed my kale salad-making life, seriously. It makes the kale much more tender and delicious and will turn a kale hater into a kale lover for life.
- 1 Bunch Kale
- 1 Can Chickpeas, no-salt added, drained
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- ½ cup Red Onion, diced
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Sunflower Seeds, toasted
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Lemon juice
- Pinch kosher salt & pepper
- De-stem kale, tear into bite sized pieces, and add to salad bowl.Drizzle kale with olive oil and lemon juice and add a pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
- Massage kale for about 2-3 minutes. Kale will turn a darker green and will become less rigid.
- Add the chickpeas and rest of the vegetables to the kale and combine.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and sunflower seeds.
- You can add more olive oil and lemon juice at the end if you prefer your salad to have more dressing.