For the last few years Mr A and I have had a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share. We picked up a weekly or bi-weekly share of veggies from our local farmer and we enjoyed cooking and experimenting with new veggies. Last summer we bought our first home, complete with lots of space to grow our own foods. Naturally, this summer we decided to forgo the CSA in favour of attempting to grow our own!
I hope to make a weekly series of what’s going on with our garden as a way to document it for the future. Maybe more importantly, I hope to also gather some of your tried and true gardening tips and tricks to help us have a successful first year!
Our current state of affairs…
We needed to get a lot of things ready and cleaned up in the yard before we could start planting anything. First and foremost we (Mr A and his dad) blocked off all the holes in our fence after shooing the rabbits out. After that, our next tasks included:
- taking down a very sad apple tree
- pruning our existing apple trees
- taking out some vines and turning one of our flower beds into a garden plot
- removing another set of vines from the larger garden plot
If you’re keeping up, we already have quite a few things planting and already existing in our yard:
- 3 garden plots (probably a fourth) – shallots and garlic was planted in one of them two weeks ago, no sight of them yet
- two apple trees
- a 20 foot stretch of rhubarb – which is coming up!
- SO MANY chives. Seriously, do you want some?
- I’m hopeful my mint and tarragon from last year will also come back
Writing this down makes me a little overwhelmed, but I’m happy I have a partner in gardening crime to help me! This weekend is our first in the yard alone, together, and we have a few things on our list to accomplish:
- cleaning up and turning the soil in the garden beds (x3)
- edging our newly added 4th bed
- rigging up our downspouts to spread water more evenly through the garden
- making rows and planting some cold weather veggies (swiss chard, onions, radishes, hazza!)
It was fun giving you a glimpse of what’s going on in our backyard garden and I hope you can follow along with me as we journey into the gardening unknown! I’ll be back next week with a sneak peak at all the goodies we’ll be planing this year and all the details of how our weekend of gardening turned out!
Let’s chat – Are you planting a garden this year? What kind of veggies do you usually plant?